Skip to content
How To: Wrist Curl Behind Back
Standing Wrist Curl Behind Back Instructions
- Begin the exercise by selecting a barbell weight and holding it behind your back using an underhand grip (palms facing out). Your hands should be placed around shoulder width apart.
- Stand straight up with your feet shoulder width apart and look straight forward. Bending only at the wrists, let the barbell drop as far as possible. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly raise the barbell up as far as possible squeezing the forearm muscles at the top of the movement. Only your wrists should be moving.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the barbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- A light weight should be used with proper technique. It doesn’t take heavy weight to make this exercise effective.
- Keep the rep timing slow, and pause/squeeze the forearms for a count of two at the top of the movement for added intensity.
- Use a full range of motion by allowing the weight to drop as far as possible at the bottom of the movement.
- It would be wise to have a training partner either hand you the bar or use a rack to pick it up.
- When finished, lower the bar to a rack or bend at the knees and lower it to the floor.