Step away from the weights room (for a bit at least). There are plenty of benefits to be had from switching things up every once in a while and sandbags are an easy way to do just that.
Sometimes a visit to the gym can be the last thing you want to do after a long day at work. That’s besides the fact that some of us have jobs that require regular visits to other cities. It’s therefore hard to get into a routine of going to gym. Well, you are in luck and officially excuse- free. For this workout; all you need is a weighted bag- even your travel one will do.
How to do it: Perform 15 reps per move. Repeat 3-5 rounds depending on your level of fitness.
Single Leg Romanian Deadlift:
- Stand holding the sandbag on the perpendicular handles.
- Bend at the hips and extending one leg out behind you.
- Reach for the ground with the bag.
- Go as low as you can while maintaining a neutral spine.
- Keep your pelvis level and don’t allow your hips to rotate.
- Contract your hamstrings and glutes to return to the upright position.
- Perform all the required reps with one leg behind you.
- Then repeat with the opposite leg.
Related article: 5 Core Exercises In 5 Minutes To Help Build Your Strength And Confidence
Lateral Lunge With Shoulder Switch Overhead Thrust:
- Stand upright with the sandbag positioned on one shoulder.
- Lunge to the side with the leg on the same side as the bag.
- As you press back up through the leading leg, press the sandbag up and overhead.
- Switch the bag to the other shoulder as you reach the upright position, then perform the lunge movement on the other side.
Related article: Hygiene Worries In The Way Of Your Gains? Five Tips To Help Stay Clean And Healthy!
Front Squats (2 Half 1 Full):
- Stand with your feet placed hip-width apart.
- Holding the horizontal handles with an overhand grip, clean the sandbag to your front.
- Let it rest on your arms and shoulders.
- Keep the bag high by keeping your elbows up and your chest high as you squat down to parallel for two reps.
- For the third rep squat as low as possible while keeping proper form.
Related article: 10 Great Stretches That Benefit You After a Lower-Body Workout
- Hold the bag on the perpendicular handles with an underhand grip.
- Bend the knees and hinge over at the hips to a 45-degree angle.
- Keep your back straight and neck and spine in a neutral position as you row the bag up towards your chest.