Looking to mix up your training plan or try something new (aside from the best adventure activities of 2019?). We have a simple workout update that could really make a difference to your gains.
Say hello to free weight exercises.
Life goes too fast. The older you get, the more you recognise how fleeting it is. So how would you like to slow down the aging process? No, we can’t turn back time. However, we can turn back the years on our body. That’s right — working out can keep you young!
These simple weight exercises are an effective method of strength training for women that have proven results.
10 best free weights exercises
1. Single arm row
Targets: Back, biceps
- Begin with your right hand and right knee on a bench, your left foot stepped out wide and a dumbbell in your left hand, hanging down.
- With your back in a neutral position, and left knee soft, drive left elbow up, lifting the dumbbell to your torso.
- Lower back to start.
2. Dumbbell chest press
Targets: Chest, triceps
Do: 3 sets of 13-15 reps
- Lie on your back on a bench holding dumbbells with arms straight up over your chest.
- Bend the elbows slowly, bringing the dumbbells in a straight line down to either side of your chest.
- Without pausing, drive your arms back up.
3. Split squat
Targets: Quads, glutes, adductors
Do: 3 sets of 10-12 reps on each leg. Start with your weaker leg
- With feet and hips facing forwards, start with one foot raised on a step and your other leg a stride behind you.
- Holding dumbbells, slowly lunge forwards, keeping the knee in line with the toe.
- Without stopping at the bottom, push back up to the start position.
- Now swap legs.
4. Seated shoulder press
Do: 3 sets of 13-15 reps. If you only make it to 11, use a lighter weight. If you smash 15, use a heavier weight
- Sitting upright on a bench, start with dumbbells held straight above your head.
- Slowly bend your elbows and lower dumbbells until they are in line with your shoulders.
- Without stopping, drive straight back up to the start position.
5. Hip thrust
Do: 3 sets of 15-20 reps. Use a 20kg barbell and 5kg weights on each side
- Sit on the floor, back against a bench.
- Roll the barbell onto the front of your hips.
- With knees bent, shoulders on the bench, drive hips off the floor until your back is parallel.
- Slowly lower your hips downwards, then drive back up again.
- And repeat.
Related article: 30 Day Booty Bursting Shape And Lift Exercise Challenge
Targets: Back, hamstrings, glutes
Do: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- Place an Olympic bar (minus any weights) on the floor and stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Grip with hands a little wider than your feet.
- Keep your bottom low, chest up and back flat.
- Driving with legs, stand up straight, shoulders back, arms straight down.
- Keep bar close to your body and return to the floor; maintain a flat back.
7. Step ups
Targets: Legs, glutes
Do: 3 sets of 10-12 reps on each leg