Not only are morning workouts easier to stick to, but working out early—more specifically, before you’ve had breakfast—may help the body burn fat more efficiently. Since your body’s still in snooze mode at that hour, particularly if it’s not acclimated to doing something right away, you may need to adjust.
But that doesn’t mean you have to give up on all your routine—just opt for a calmer kind of workout at the beginning.
Start with gentle movements—ones that strengthen and stretch the entire body while getting the blood pumping, but are a bit less intense. Consider this workout below your entry into the morning-person club.
Complete 3 rounds of the following circuit. Perform 10 to 12 reps of each move in the first set, 12 to 15 reps in the second set, and 15 to 20 reps in the third set. By the end, you’ll feel stretched, energised, and ready to take on the day.
1. Hollow Body Hold:
- Lie face-up with arms by sides and legs extended straight.
- Engage abs.
- Lift shoulder blades and straightened legs off the floor, keeping lower back pressed into mat throughout the entire exercise (the closer your legs are to the floor, the more challenging this is).
Related article: These 8 Moves Shrink Your Waist, Sculpt Your Shoulders And Lift Your Butt For Enviable Curves For A Sexy Hourglass Figure
2. Single-Leg Glute Bridge:
- Lie face-up with knees bent and feet shoulder-width apart.
- Extend left leg straight out then press into right heel to lift hips straight up off the mat.
- Keep knees in-line and engage glutes as you lift.
- Lower down slowly, creating your own resistance, then repeat on the other side.
Related article: The Best 20-Minute Bodyweight Workout for Weight Loss And Shaping
3. Reverse Oblique Crunch:
- Start sitting on a mat, legs extended out in front of you, hands on the mat behind you.
- Lean back slightly onto fingertips for balance and lift legs two inches off the floor.
- Keeping core tight, shift weight onto right hip and twist at the waist to bring bent knees toward chest.
- Extend back out (don’t drop legs to the mat).
- You should feel this in your side abs.
- Twist to the other side and repeat.
- Continue alternating.
Related article: The Eight Moves Sexy Back Workout To Banish Bra Bulge Back Pain And Bad Posture
4. Plank With Knee Tap:
- Start in high plank position, hands directly under shoulders, shoulders in-line with hips.
- Engage core to keep torso still, and without shifting weight, draw right knee to chest and lift the left hand to tap right knee, then draw left knee to chest and lift right hand to tap left knee.
- Continue alternating as fast as possible without losing form.
Related article: Lose Weight This Month With Our 30-Day Slim-Down Challenge
5. Double Leg Lift:
- Lie face-up on the mat, legs extended up toward the ceiling so body forms a 90-degree angle, arms by sides.
- Keeping core engaged and lower back pressed to mat, slowly lower legs down to the mat as low as possible (the lower you go the harder it is).
- Don’t let the lower back pop up off the mat.
- Slowly lift legs back to starting position and repeat.
Related article: 4 Exercises for Toning Your Entire Body In Minutes And Achieve Your Best Butt And Body Ever
- Stand with feet just wider than hip-width, hips stacked over knees, knees over ankles.
- Hinge at hips then send hips back and bend knees to lower body.
- Keep chest lifted and lower to at least 90 degrees.
- Lift arms out in front of you for balance if needed.
- Rise and repeat.
Related article: Absolutely Amazing Core Exercises for a Flat Summer Stomach
7. Lateral Lunge With Knee Drive:
- Start with feet together, arms at your side.
- Take a big step to left with your left foot, send your hips back, and bend your left knee (right leg is straight) as you bring palms together in front of the chest.
- Keep chest lifted and abs engaged.
- Press into the left foot to reverse momentum and shift weight onto the right leg as you draw left knee to chest.
- Return to lunge position and continue to repeat.
- Then repeat on the other side.
Related article: 14-Day Abs Challenge To Lose The Belly Pooch Plus Tone And Shape Your Abs
8. Inchworm Push-Up:
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Hinge at hips to bend over and touch the floor with hands, then walk hands out to high plank position.
- Keeping elbows close to sides, bend elbows and lower chest to the floor.
- Push back up, then walk hands back toward feet.