If you’re tired of skipping the gym because you don’t have time, we feel you. But as long as you have a pair of dumbbells and 30 minutes, you can get your sweat on in your home, yard, or hotel room with this no-excuses routine.
The point isn’t just to burn more calories in a short amount of time (which you will), but also to become stronger in the process by working multiple muscles at once. You’ll score the added bonus of a serious cardiovascular challenge, thanks to the complexity of multi-muscle movements versus single-joint exercises alone.
Because major muscle groups are working together, more energy is required from the body to not only provide oxygen to the working muscles, but also to coordinate movement. Perform the following exercises back to back as a circuit. After completing one time through, rest 1-2 minutes, then repeat. Complete four rounds.
Stationary Lunge with Biceps Curl
Reps: 12 per side
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, take a large step forward (A).
- Lower into a lunge, and at the same time, curl the weights up to your shoulders (B).
- Return to the starting position and repeat for all reps, then switch sides.
Squat to Curl to Press
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and arms at sides, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Lower into a squat (A).
- Return to standing, curling the weights up to your shoulders (B), then immediately perform an overhead press (C).
- Return to the starting position and repeat.
Related article: How Much Time Should You Spend in the Gym – Am I Working Out Enough?
Deadlift to Lunge
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding dumbbells in front of your legs.
- Keeping a slight bend in the knees, hinge at the hips and lower the weights towards the ground (A).
- Raise back up to standing (B), then immediately step forward with one leg and lower into a lunge (C).
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
- Continue alternating sides for a total of 12 deadlifts.
Related article: 5 Explosive Exercises To Blast Abs Leg And Arm Flab Fast
Wide Pop Squat with Lateral Raise
- Begin standing with feet together, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Jump your feet out into a wide stance and lower into a squat as you raise the weights out at your sides to shoulder height (A).
- Jump your feet back to the middle (B), and immediately repeat.
- Continue for all reps.
Burpee with Push-Up
- From standing, drop into a squat position, then place your hands on the ground in front of you and hop your legs out behind you (A).
- Perform a push-up (B), then jump your feet to your hands (C) and explode straight into the air (D).
- Immediately repeat.
- Continue for all reps.