Eating a protein bar is one of the most convenient ways to ensure your muscles get the fuel they need to rebuild after a tough workout. There’s no mixing, shaking or cooking required – you just unwrap and chow down.
However, the bars can be quite pricy and they’re not always the most palatable of snacks, with some doing a fine job of approximating both the taste and texture of cardboard.
To ensure your high-protein snack is of the highest quality, why not try making it yourself by following this recipe. The combination of nuts, seeds, oats, dates and protein powder is a winning one, packing in 13g protein per serving for just 220 calories.
Macadamia and Pumpkin Seed Bar With Protein Fudge Recipe:
Ingredients (makes four servings)
- 35g chocolate whey protein powder
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 3tbsp macadamia nuts
- 3 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 3 tbsp (45ml) almond milk
- 6-7 pitted dates
- To make the fudge heat the almond butter and the almond milk in a microwave for 40sec, then mix in the whey protein powder with a fork.
- Once it’s soft and dough-like pop it in the freezer for 40min.
- Put the macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, oats and dates into a food processor and blend until they form a slightly sticky paste that can hold its shape.
- Add one or two more dates, or some almond butter, to the mix if it’s not sticking (this will raise the calorie count).
- Spread the nut mixture out in a small, square baking tray, pressing it into all corners.
- Grab your fudge from the freezer, roll it out, and then place it over and gently press it into the nut mixture.
- Put the whole shebang into the fridge for a few hours until it’s good and cold, then cut it into bar shapes.
Nutritional Info (Per Serving)
- Calories: 220
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fats: 12g