For a strength training workout that makes every muscle in your body quiver, you might plan to hit the gym’s free weights, the upper- and lower-body weight machines, and the stair climber to tone your biceps, booty, and beyond. After you’ve cycled through your pumped-up workout playlist a few times, you’ll finally feel like you’ve made major improvements in the gains department.
There are many different ways to hold a kettlebell, allowing you to target a variety of muscles in different ways using the one piece of equipment. Kettlebells are also an effective way to help engage the entire body as there are a large number of kettlebell exercises that target multiple major muscle groups.
You absolutely can lose weight using a kettlebell workout routine. Kettlebell workouts are a form of strength training, and strength training is an effective component of any weight loss strategy. Here it is! 26 minutes of lung-busting, calorie-blasting, body-sculpting high-intensity exercise.
- Perform this workout using a HIIT 10-rep EMOM – every minute, on the minute – structure. Set a timer for 1-minute intervals.
- Perform 10 reps of each exercise (5 reps per side for unilateral exercises) within that minute, then move directly to the next exercise for the next minute-long interval.
- If you finish before 1 minute is up, use the remainder of the interval to recover.
- Rest for one minute after completing all 8 exercises.
- Repeat for a total of 3 rounds.
1. Russian kettlebell swing:
The kettlebell swing is a highly effective exercise for anyone who wants to achieve functional strength and fitness, as the movement teaches you to generate power from the core outward, generating force from the hips, legs, back and core stabilisers. It also works to improve mobility and delivers a full-body workout with one move.
- Set up with the kettlebell in front of you.
- Hinge at the hips and push back your glutes while keeping your back straight.
- Lower yourself until you can grip the handle with both hands.
- Pull your shoulders back and down by engaging your back muscles.
- Pull the kettlebell back hard as your hands go between your legs until you feel the tension in your hamstrings.
- Contract your glutes and hamstrings forcefully and allow this to drive your hips forward, extending them in a popping motion.
- Use the momentum of this movement to drive the kettlebell up and forward into the swing phase of the movement.
- Guide the kettlebell with your hands and extended arms as it travels up to about shoulder height.
- Let the kettlebell fall back between your legs.
- As it does, repeat the movement.
Related article: Build Muscle And Torch Calories In No Time With This 20 Minute Kettlebell Fat Burning Workout
2. Kettlebell single arm deadlift, clean and overhead press:
- Start with a kettlebell placed between your feet, with your legs positioned wider than hip-width apart and a slight bend in your knees.
- Lower your hips to grab the handle with one hand using an overhand grip.
- Deadlift the kettlebell off the floor and continue to pull it up until it reaches chest level.
- With your elbow tucked in at your side, rotate your arm out, then press the kettlebell overhead.
- Reverse the movement to return the kettlebell back down to the ground to complete one rep.
- Complete 5 reps on one side before swapping arms.
Related article: 5 Kettlebell Exercises To Strengthen Your Whole Body
3. Single-leg Romanian deadlift:
Form tip: Do not allow the hip of the ‘free’ leg to tilt up as you hinge.
- Stand upright with a neutral spine holding a kettlebell in your right hand.
- Brace your core and place your body weight on your left leg (opposite to the arm holding the kettlebell).
- Bend at the hip, reaching down to the ground with the kettlebell.
- Push your hip back and go as low as you can while maintaining a neutral spine.
- As you do so, extend your ‘free’ leg straight out behind you.
- When your back and extended leg are in alignment to form a table top, contract the hamstring and glute of your supporting leg to return to the upright position.
- Perform 5 reps with the left leg, then repeat on the right leg.
Related article: 4 Deadlift Variations To Achieve A Banging Body!
4. Alternating one-arm swing with pass:
Form tip: Don’t shrug your shoulders or flex your elbows to attempt to extend the range of motion of your arms.
- Set up as explained in the Russian swing description, except this time hold the kettlebell on the handle with one hand.
- Swing the kettlebell up by driving through your hips to generate the power for the swing phase.
- Swing the kettlebell up to chest height, until your arm is parallel to the ground.
- At the top of the swing, switch the kettlebell to your opposite hand.
- Allow the kettlebell to drop back down under control, being careful not to round or hyper-extend the lower back.
- Allow the kettlebell to fall between your legs before executing the hip extension to repeat the movement.
- Each swing counts as one rep.
Related article: Can I Burn Fat In 20 Minutes? Yes With This Great HIIT Workout
5. Sumo squat with high pull:
Form tip: Keep your core engaged throughout the movement.
- Set up with the kettlebell placed on the floor between your legs, with your feet wider than hip-width apart and toes pointing out.
- Squat down by grasp the handle with both hands by bending your knees and pushing back your hips.
- Drive up through your feet and extend your knees and hips to rise back up.
- As you do so, pull the kettlebell up to your chin, keeping your elbows above your wrists as you do so.
- Lower the kettlebell down and drop into a deep squat to repeat the movement.
Related article: Hate Squats? Want To Shape Your Butt? Great! Here’s 5 Moves That Seriously Combats Flat Butt
6. Lunge with pass through:
Form tip: Keep your torso upright throughout the movement.
- Stand upright holding a kettlebell in your right hand.
- Step forward with your right foot and lower yourself down by flexing the hip and the knee of your leading leg.
- Allow the trailing knee to drop down until it nearly touches the ground.
- As you lunge, pass the kettlebell under your bent leading leg to your opposite hand (left).
- Press through the heel of your leading foot and extend your knee and hip to return to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement for the recommended amount of reps in an alternating fashion.
Related article: Do You Fancy A Thigh Busting Challenge? This 30 Day Challenge Is Perfect For Re-Shaping Those Legs
7. Kettlebell arm complex:
- Stand upright, with your feet placed shoulder-width apart, holding the kettlebell on the horns with an overhand grip.
- Curl the kettlebell up to your chest, then press the kettlebell overhead.
- From this position, flex your elbows to lower the kettlebell back behind your head.
- Press the kettlebell back up and then lower it back down to the starting position to complete one rep of the complex.
Related article: How Can I Lose Weight In My Abs Legs And Arms In One Workout And Quickly? 5 Moves 1 Set Of Dumbbells
8. Kettlebell windmill:
- Clean and press a kettlebell overhead with your right arm.
- Adopt a wide stance with your feet pointing out at a forty-five-degree angle.
- Keep your loaded arm locked out as you push your hip out in the direction of the locked-out kettlebell (right side).
- Continue to lean over until you can touch the floor with your free hand.
- Keep your eyes on the kettlebell being held overhead.
- When your free hand touches the ground, reverse the motion back to the starting position.
- Perform 5 reps on one side, then swap over to the other.