Muffin top. Belly pooch. There are plenty of ways to describe extra belly fat, but all of them have a less-than-desirable name. Whether you’ve struggled to lose belly fat after having kids, hit menopause, or found maintaining a flat stomach more difficult than it used to be, most of us have dealt with carrying extra weight around our middle before.
If you want to get rid of lower belly pooch for good, though, it’s not enough to try a few sit-ups and call it a day. Getting rid of belly fat and sculpting the muscles underneath requires both changing your diet and ramping up your workouts.
Make sure you’re doing these things first and then get ready to incorporate our awesome 15-minute workout at the end of this article to seal the deal on flat abs and say goodbye to belly pooch.
Perform each of these moves for 1 minute. Take a 1-minute rest afterward—then start from the beginning and do another 1 minute for each move.
1. Oblique Burners:
- Stand with feet a little wider than hip-distance apart, knees bent, and hands held behind the back of your head.
- Bend to the right, reaching your right hand toward the floor behind your leg.
- Keep spine long.
- Return to center and repeat on the left side.
2. Froggy Crunches:
- Start lying on the mat with fingers at the base of your head and elbows pointed out.
- Bring the soles of your feet together, knees pointed outward.
- Tilt your chin slightly forward and squeeze abdominals to lift your chest upward.
- Keep arms and neck relaxed.
- Slowly lower down and repeat.
Related article: 10-Minute Yoga Routine After Every Workout To Get Crazy Flexible
3. Side Plank Lift and Lower:
- Start by laying on your right side with forearm below shoulder, body lifted and legs long and feet stacked.
- Keep body straight, abs tight, and place left hand on hip.
- Dip your hips down towards the mat and lift back up, using your obliques and core muscles.
4. Sweeping Scissors:
- Start lying on the mat with arms over your head and legs long.
- Sweep arms out to sides and bring head, neck, and shoulders off the mat reaching arms long and lift one leg up and in towards the chest.
- Reaching arms forward on the sides of the leg.
- Rollback to mat lowering the leg, and repeat on the other side.
Related article: The Fat Burning Abs Workout For A Fabulous Toned Tummy
5. Ab Reverse Curl:
- Lie on the mat and extend your legs straight up towards the ceiling.
- As you exhale, tighten your low belly to push your feet straight into the air.
- Hips will lift slightly off the mat.
- Return your hips and lower back to the mat with control.
- Use your abdominals vs. momentum to create the movement and avoid rolling onto the neck.
6. In In Out Out Plank:
- Begin in a forearm plank position with your body in a straight line and abdominals contracted.
- Step your left foot out to the left and your right foot out to the center.
- Move your left foot back to the center and your right foot back to the center.
7. Bird Dog Crunch:
- Kneel on the mat on all fours.
- Reach one arm long, draw in the abs, and extend the opposite leg long behind you.
- Bring the elbow and knee in towards your center as you round your back remember to draw in your abs.
- Repeat on the other side.