While the practice of yoga has everything to do with breathing and is less about the asanas (the sanskrit name for “poses” or “postures”), a lot of people mistake yoga for an easy form of exercise. Even if you only came for the Savasana, which you definitely shouldn’t leave before, turning off the mind and being present with the body and the breath isn’t an easy feat.
But if you’re someone who likes to work your muscles and break a sweat – you certainly don’t want to discount yoga. There are a lot of great yoga poses for weight loss and strength building you should definitely try out.
That’s right, yoga isn’t just a bunch of stretching—it can torch major calories! It builds muscle, which causes fat to melt, and can also increase your heart rate, which aids in boosting your metabolism.
These poses are some of the best to burn calories. Do this entire sequence three to five days a week, and any extra padding on your body will turn into sleekly sculpted muscle in no time.
1. 3-Legged Dog To Tiger Curl:
- With a huge emphasis on the core and total-body mobility, this dynamic movement is a total-body burner.
- If you really want to heat up the body, this is a great movement.
- You want to tuck your belly button into your spine as much as possible and really try to get your knee to your nose.
Related article: 9 Yoga Stretches to Increase Flexibility And A Super Toned Body
2. Warrior II:
- Strong and active legs, relaxed shoulders.
- Gaze towards and beyond your front hand.
- Make sure that the back foot is parallel to the mat and the front knee is going over your second toe (prevent that knee from collapsing inward).
Related article: 5 Yoga Exercises To Strengthen Impingement Shoulder & Rotator Cuff
3. Warrior III:
- Balance, focus, and lengthen that spine! Make sure that your gaze is downward to keep that spinal alignment.
- Get your biceps up by your ears.
- From the side, your body should be shaped like a “T”.
Related article: 8 Yoga Poses To Strengthen Your Lower Back & Abs In Only 10 Minutes Per Day
4. Revolving Crescent Lunge:
- As with all twisting poses, a revolving crescent lunge is great for spine mobility and promoting healthy digestion.
- Be sure that your core is activated and you’re not just putting all of your weight on your quad.
- Additionally, keep that back leg active, really pressing the back of the knee up towards the sky.
Related article: 8 Powerful And Effective Yoga Poses For Perfectly Shaped Arms In 1 Workout
- The legs, back, and core are really activated full force in this pose.
- It’s not easy to pretend you’re sitting on a chair when there isn’t a chair behind you.
- Try to sit back and as low as possible and really reach those fingertips up towards the sky, while simultaneously relaxing your shoulders.
- If this is not possible with your arms, you can always bend your elbows and come into cactus arms instead.
Related article: 10-Minute Yoga Routine After Every Workout To Get Crazy Flexible
6. High Side Plank:
- Those side planks are not as easy as they seem.
- Be sure that your feet are stacked on top of each other (or one in front of the other for more stability), your hips are tucked under and pushed forward.
- Additionally, don’t sink down into that base shoulder socket – push through the earth with that palm.
- Active core – you’ve got this!