Holidays, the time for poolside margaritas, not treadmill slogs in the gyms. But sneaking in exercise while you’re away is crucial to staying on your game. Skip it and it’ll be that much harder to get back on track. Umbrella drinks don’t exactly burn themselves off.
A routine that puts every muscle through its paces, no equipment required. This workout is simple, but it’ll seriously crank your heart rate and metabolism. You’ll also increase your flexibility and core strength and sculpt your butt, legs, and shoulders! Make this set your travel go-to, or do it three times a week as a superefficient workout.
Starting with the first exercise, perform as many reps as you can in 50 seconds, rest for 10, then move on to the next. After all four moves, rest for one minute. Repeat two more times for three circuits total.
1. Marching Glute Bridge
- Lie faceup with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor, arms by your sides.
- Press through your heels to raise your hips so your body forms a straight line from shoulders to knees (A).
- Raise your right foot, knee bent at 90 degrees, until your shin is parallel to the floor (B).
- Hold for three seconds, then lower your foot and repeat with the left.
2. Alternating Reverse Lunge
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, hands clasped behind your head (A).
- Step back with your right leg and lower your body until your left knee is bent to 90 degrees (B).
- Push back up to start.
- That’s one rep.
- Switch legs and repeat.
3. Plank Walk-up
- Get into a plank position, forearms on the floor, elbows under your shoulders, legs extended behind you (A).
- Place your right-hand flat on the floor (B), and then your left, straightening your arms to pushup position (C).
- Return to start by lowering onto your right, then left, forearms.
- Repeat, leading with your left hand; alternate.
4. Skater Hop
- Cross your left leg behind your right and lower into a half-squat, your right arm out to the side, left arm across your hips (A).
- Hop to the left, switching your legs and arms (B).
- That’s one rep.
- Keep hopping quickly, alternating from side to side.