Everyone has a small towel at home. Using this basic tool, along with a floor that allows for sliding, can be a creative, effective and inexpensive way to get a killer workout! A great workout doesn’t always require fancy machines. Using a towel to work your muscles, we assure you it works as successfully as resistance bands, dumbbells and other expensive equipment.
The most important part of any workout is toning because it not only gives a well-formed and shapely appearance to the entire body but also helps to bulk up on lean muscle mass more easily. The towel can do much more than just wiping sweat from your face and body.
Adding a towel to workouts helps to increase the benefits of core training and cardio intensity without producing any adverse impact on the joints. Due to the amount of stretching that is required for these moves, be sure to progress slowly during the first few repetitions of each exercise. This will allow your muscles and tendons to gradually become used to the increased range of motion.
Works: Abs. Time: 2 minutes
- Get into a plank position with both feet on the towel and hands on the floor directly below chest.
- Keep abs tight and exhale as you hinge from your waist and, with bent knees, pull feet toward hands by sliding on towel.
- Slide feet back out.
- Repeat for 50 seconds, rest for 10, then start over.
- To increase difficulty, keep legs straight throughout.
- Easier option: Repeat for 15 seconds, rest for 15, then do three more times.
Related article: 5 Kettlebell Exercises To Strengthen Your Whole Body
Reverse Slider Lunges:
Works: Legs, including quads, glutes and hamstrings. Time: 1 minute
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and left foot on the towel.
- Slide left foot backwards into a lunge position until your right knee reaches 90 degrees.
- Push off of right heel and slide left foot back to starting position.
- Repeat for 30 seconds, then switch to right leg on towel and repeat for 30 more seconds.
- Easier option: Repeat for 20 seconds, rest for 20 seconds, then switch legs and repeat for 20 more seconds.
Related article: 9 Body Blasting Exercises Specifically Targeting Arms Abs And Legs Using Only Your Bodyweight
Works: Abs and shoulders. Time: 2 Minutes
- (A) Get into a plank position on hands with feet shoulder-width apart and right foot on towel.
- (B) Slide your right foot up midway under your body.
- (C) Keeping abs tight, lift your left arm toward the ceiling while sliding your right foot forward until it is about two feet in front of your left foot.
- Keep hips elevated and spine straight.
- Move backwards through steps to starting position.
- Repeat for 30 seconds with the right foot, then switch and do 30 seconds with the left foot.
- Then start over.
- Easier option: Do 20 seconds sliding with right foot, 20 seconds with left foot, then rest for 20 seconds. Then start over.
Related article: The 30 Day Plank Challenge That Will Tone And Strengthen Your Core
Works: Abs. Time: 2 Minutes
- Get into plank position with forearms on the floor, feet shoulder-width apart and towel under right foot.
- Keeping hips level with shoulders, slide right foot out and forward so that right knee moves toward right elbow.
- Move leg back to starting position.
- Repeat for one minute on right side, then switch and do one minute on left side.
- Easier option: Do for 30 seconds on right side, hold plank position for 15 seconds, then rest for 15 seconds. Repeat sequence on left side.
Related article: Increase Your Intensity and Strength With These 7 Resistance Band Workout Moves
Push-up with Single Arm Slide:
Works: Chest, triceps and abs. Time: 1 Minute
- Get into push-up position on knees, and place a towel under left hand.
- Slowly lower your chest to the floor as you slide the towel forward.
- Exhale and push up as you slide the towel back into starting position.
- Do for 15 seconds with left hand, then switch to right and do 15 seconds more.
- Repeat sequence.
- Easier option: Do 10 seconds with the left hand, 10 seconds with the right, then rest for 10 seconds. Repeat.