The secret to a perfectly carved out stellar set of abs or “six-pack abs” is a good ab diet and this 11 killer core and ab workouts. These moves will shock your core and supercharge the growth of ab muscles to reveal the definitions in your stomach.
To sculpt chiselled and award winning abs, you need moves that work far beyond your abs—including your hips, glutes, arms and shoulders. After all, your core does more than flex on a daily basis—It helps with walking, twisting and bending down.
You also need a stronger core for a stronger back and better balance.
This list of moves will strengthen the core, shred your abs, aid movement, and lend better balance to the whole body. So if you’re ready for chiselled abs, here are 11 best moves to rock and strengthen your core.
- Get down into a push-up position with the legs straight back and your hands directly under your shoulders.
- Brace your abs and squeeze your glutes to stabilise your whole body.
- Bend your elbows 90 degrees and rest your weight on your forearms.
- Your elbows should be directly beneath your shoulders and your body should form a straight line from your head to your feet.
- Hold the position for as long as you can.
- Aim for 60 seconds if you can.
2. Side Plank
- Lie on one side with your legs straight. Prop up your upper body on your bottom forearm.
- Brace your core and raise your hips until your body forms a straight line.
- Hold this position for as long as you can while breathing deeply.
- Then roll over and repeat on the other side.
Make it harder: If you want to make it harder raise your top leg straight and hold it.
Related article: Create Abs Of Steel With These Five Core Burning Exercises
- Get down on your fours and balance your weight on your toes and palms with hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Your body should form a straight line from your ankles to your head.
- Squeeze your glutes and brace your abdominals for the duration of the exercise.
- In one motion, slowly lower yourself to the floor, pause for 1-2 seconds, and push yourself back up to the starting position.
- Repeat 10-15 times.
4. Mountain Climber
- Start at the top of a push-up position, so your body form a straight line from your head to the back of your heels.
- Brace your abs.
- Pick up your right foot and slowly bring your chest, then return quickly to the starting position and switch legs.
- Continue alternating between your legs for 30 seconds.
5. Reverse Crunch
- Lie face up on the floor with your palms facing down next to your sides.
- Bend your hips and knees 90 degrees.
- Contract your abs and raise your hips off the floor.
- Crunch them inward.
- Pause 1-2 seconds, and then slowly lower your legs back down until your heels nearly touch the floor.
- Do 12-15 reps for 3 sets.
6. Leg Drop
- Lie flat on your back with your head and neck relaxed and your hands on the floor to your shoulders levels.
- Brace your core and use your lower abdominal muscles to lift your knees up toward your rid cage.
- Keeping your lower back pressed firmly to the floor, slowly lower your feet back to the starting position.
- As your feet lightly touch the floor, repeat.
- Do 10-12 for 3 sets.
Related article: Stability Ball Workout For Strong Core Abs & Legs
7. Hip Roll
- Lie flat on your back with your legs up, knees bent at 90 degrees directly over your hips.
- Extend your arms out from your shoulders and turn your palms upward.
- Brace your core as if someone is going to punch you in the stomach.
- With control, lower your legs to one side as far as you comfortably can while keeping your shoulders in contact with the floor.
- In one motion, using the strength of your core, pull your legs back to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Continue alternating sides, and do 10 reps on each side for 20 reps.
8. Swiss-Ball Roll-Out
- Get down on your knees in front of a Swiss ball and place your forearms and fists on the ball.
- Brace your core, and slowly roll the ball forward, straightening your arms and extending your body as far as you can without allowing your body to “collapse.”
- Use your abs to pull the ball back to your knees.
- That’s one rep.
- Do 10-12 reps for 3 sets.
Related article: 17 Most Effective Abs and Core Exercises To Do At The Gym
9. Swiss Ball Crunch
- Lie with your hips, lower back, and shoulders in contact with a Swiss ball and your feet flat on the floor.
- Place your fingertips behind your ears, and pull your elbows back so that they’re in line with your body.
- Raise your head and shoulders and crunch your rib cage towards your pelvis, without straining your neck forward or allowing your hips to drop.
- Pause for 1-2 seconds, then slowly return to the starting position.
- Do 12-15 reps for 3 sets.
10. Swiss Ball Knee Tuck
- Get down on your fours with your feet placed on a Swiss ball and your hands on the floor.
- Brace your core and maintain your balance.
- Use your feet to roll the ball into your body, stopping when your knees reach your chest.
- Slowly roll the ball back to the starting position and repeat 10-12 reps for 2-3 sets.
Related article: Chisel Your Upper Abs With Cable Crunches!
11. Swiss Ball Reverse Oblique Crunch
- Start by laying on your back with knees bent at a 90 degree angle and holding an exercise ball between your heels and glutes.
- Your arms down at your side.
- Bracing your core and pressing your arms firmly to the ground, lift up through your hips to raise your glutes and the ball off the floor.
- Hold onto this position squeezing your glutes and abdominals then return to the starting position.
- Do 10-12 reps for 3 sets.